This is a quick and easy recipe for BBQ Elk Burgers. Elk is a great alternative to beef. It’s leaner, richer in protein and just as juicy and delicious as a beef burger. Our elk meat comes from grass fed, free range elk meat with NO antibiotics, NO added hormones and NO steroids. All natural, without any chemicals or additives of any kind. Isn’t it better to eat all natural than a supermarket burger?
Elk Burger Recipe
- 1 3/4 lb. Ground Elk
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- Barbecue sauce
- 6 buns, crusty are best
- Romaine lettuce
- Sliced tomato
- In a medium bowl, combine ground elk, egg and onion, mixing thoroughly. Shape into four 1⁄2” thick patties.
- Place patties on grill sprayed with cooking oil. Cook over hot coals, uncovered for 8 minutes, turning once. (Remember elk burgers are low in fat, so over cooking can make them very dry.) Brush with barbecue sauce approximately 1 minute before end of cooking time.
- Line bottom half of each roll with lettuce and tomato; top with elk burger and top of bun.
Makes 6 servings.
Elk is a very versatile meat. Use it as you would beef. Make spaghetti, Sloppy Joes, Meat Loaf. Below are some quick and easy ground elk meat recipes to prepare.
Venison or Elk Meat Loaf
- 1 pound ground elk meat
- 1 pound bulk ground pork
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cups salsa
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
Oven Temp: 350o F
Recipe Cooking Time: 60 to 70 minutes
Pan Type: 9″ x 5″ meatloaf pan
Preheat your oven to 350o F.
In a large mixing bowl combine the ground elk, ground pork, first amount of Mexican blend cheese, bread crumbs, eggs,salsa, cilantro, salt and pepper.
Mix elk meatloaf well.
Turn Mexican meatloaf into a 9″ x 5″ meatloaf pan and shape into loaf.
Bake Mexican meatloaf in your hot oven uncovered. Cook meatloaf for 60 – 70 minutes or until the venison is no longer pink in the middle.
Remove elk Mexican meatloaf from oven. Cover meatloaf with the second amount of Mexican blend cheese.
Let your elk Mexican meatloaf set for 10 minutes so cheese can melt before slicing and serving.
Makes 6 – 8 servings.
A chopping board and a skillet is all you need for this great family dinner. Healthy, hearty, with a minimum of clean up. A great choice for a busy week night.
Quick and Easy Skillet Meal with Elk
- 1 lb. Ground Elk
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons beef broth or water
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 18oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup uncooked rice
- Sauté meat in a non-stick skillet until browned, drain liquid, set aside.
- Sauté onion in broth or water in same skillet until soft.
- Add remaining ingredients and meat. Cover and simmer 35 minutes or until rice is tender.
Makes 6 servings.
Tomato Sauce & Meatballs
2 – 3 servings
- Tomato Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 cups ripe tomatoes
- 2 cloves slivered garlic
- 1/4 cup small diced onions
- 1/2 cup picked basil
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cup ground elk
- 1 Tbsp bacon
- 1 tsp minced shallots
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp ricotta cheese
- 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp bread crumbs (no crusts)
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large saucepan, sweat garlic and onions in oil until translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and the stock to the saucepan and bring to a simmer for five minutes.
- Add the basil and remove from heat.
- Blend until smooth in a food processor.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Meat ball preparation Instructions:
- mix all ingredients together.
- Form the mixture into golf ball-shaped balls.
- Poach in chicken stock at 155°F for 25 minutes.
- Cook your favourite pasta in boiling salted water. Drain when cooked.
- Add meatballs to tomato sauce. Ladle over Pasta
- sprinkle generously with Parmesan cheese.